Monday, October 4, 2010

Entry # 6- A Wrinkle In Time

On page 40 of A Wrinkle In Time, Charles Wallace and Calvin discuss the facts of them being "special."
Charles Wallace says to Calvin, "She'd be delighted.  Mother's all right.  She's not one of us, but she's all right."
"What about Meg?" Questions Calvin.
"Meg has it tough." Charles Wallace said, "she's not really one thing or the other."
This is one of the paragraphs that most sticks out to me from the entire book.  The first thing that interests/annoys me is Charles saying, "She's not one of us, but she's all right...Meg has it tough, she's not really one thing or the other." 
This classifying, analyzing is terribly annoying to me. Children of that age are not allowed to already be tainted by society's flaws, the ways in which we group each other. "Not really one thing or the other."
What a blunt, harsh statement.
Which leads me to my other thoughts on this paragraph.  I just criticized Charles Wallace for being harsh, yet if it were me I wouldn't know what to think.  If I put myself in Megs' shoes, how would I feel?
I really want to say that I'd mostly be proud.  Proud that I didn't fit into one thing or the other, proud that I don't conform.  But I'm not sure that would be my overriding feeling.
I have never really been able to fit in.  It's getting to a point in my life where people are beginning to accept me more for who I am, but it hasn't always been that way.  And I'm sure it will never fully be that way.
To start off, I'm a little bit odd. And on so many levels, I couldn't be called one thing or the next.  Not gorgeous or ugly, bone-thin or obese, Caucasian or fully Hispanic,  horrible or really nice.
So I can connect to Meg feeling like there's everything wrong with her, as she expresses in the first chapter.  I can connect to her feeling kind-of outcast.  But I also have pride that I am who I am, am from where I'm from.  I am proud of my little quirks that can make me something, that keep me from being nothing at all.  I can't say I'm proud of my whole self.  But I'm proud of a good portion.
Which is definitely not to say that I haven't been influenced by society.  I, like Charles Wallace and the rest of the world, have a good idea of what "normal" or "cool" or "special" is supposed to be.  And I, like the rest of the world, have no idea what it really is.
I know this is straying off topic a bit, but I want to expand to this idea of society telling us we're one thing or the other.  Because we've all been told the same thing.
In the book, a character quotes that Dennys and Sandy "seem to be perfectly normal, nice kids," while Meg "the unattractive older sister" and Charles Wallace, "the baby boy", "certainly aren't all there."
What makes Meg so unattractive?  What is our idea of beauty? What makes kids "not all there."
What makes me one of those people that people can't really classify when I ask them to? Although I'm not sure if the reason is that they simply can't or are afraid that they'd hurt my feelings, people who aren't afraid of naming kids "the popular crowd," or "those smart kids" are suddenly confused when I ask them about me--Why is that?
Who created these ideas of what normal and attractive and special are? How did they spread around, and REALLY, how can we prevent these kinds of labels?

1 comment:

  1. Ana that was a really great entry. you addressed most of the bigger themes in A Wrinkle in Time and many problems that everyone faces everyday. I could really connect with your entry in that sense. And it changed my views a bit on the story, and on Charles Wallace.

    ReplyDelete